To install a modem
It turns out to be somewhat incongruous to explain this Internet route, but if his current modem was already installed in the computer or he does not realize very well how it the first time managed to do demons and needs to update the one that it has, it is possible that this page results to him from utility.
First of all, let's emphasize the obvious thing: it is not the same to install an internal modem that one day pupil (elementary, darling Watson). The external modems are easier and rapid of installing that the interns, but also there are one more utensil, one more plug, they are more expensive and in many ancient computers they cannot take advantage completely for there lacks an UART 16550 ó Superior (especially this more information exists on the page: What is... a modem?).
Installing an internal modem
The steps to be continued will be:
1. - To Make sure of that we have a groove free to install it. For it open the computer, having in all that the precautions that are explained in Essentials of the update of computers (do not forget to disconnect the electrical cables of the computer and the peripheral ones) and observe the grooves.
The grooves ISA are usually black women and of approximately 14 cm; the PCI, half notes and of approximately 8,5 cm; remember that the modems PCI are usually modems of the type software or Winmódems, that is to say, who need a quite powerful computer to work correctly. Verify that there will not be strange obstacles in the space that will occupy the card (cables, protrusions of other cards, the fan of the mike...).
2. - To Buy the modem and to read the instructions of installation of the same one. If he observes discrepancies in any point, pay attention to the information provided with the modem and not to this one, who LACKS COMPLETELY GUARANTEE. Then it does not take revenge with complaints; it is warned, I feign ignorance of the possible problems...
3. - Open the computer Again and insert the card. Do it with steadfastness but without brusqueness; try not to squash any of the electronic components, some of them are very delicate. Once introduced to ceiling equally, without remaining more raised in the end, assure it with the corresponding screw; do not close the box yet. Connect the cable of the phone to the modem and/or to a device of phone as they say the instructions of the manual.
The following points (4 and 5) are equal for an internal modem and for the external one, so read them further down.
Installing an external modem
The steps to be continued will be:
1. - To Make sure that the UART of his computer is it sufficiently rapid to handle his modem, especially if it is a question of a model of 28.800 bauds or more and his computer is 486 or low. A rapid method is to use the program MSD.EXE, messing about "MSD" in TWO and going to the paragraph of ports COM; if he says to him that yes a model is 16550, it is almost sure that it it is, but if he says to him that it is not possible that he has been wrong. For more information about what is the UART, why it is the result from importance and other forms of identifying it, pulsate here.
2. - To Buy the modem and to read the instructions of installation of the same one. If he observes discrepancies in any point, pay attention to the information provided with the modem and not to this one, who LACKS COMPLETELY Guarantee. Then it does not take revenge with complaints; it is warned, I feign ignorance of the possible problems...
3. - Connect the modem. The electrical connector usually does not give any more problems to leave us without another plug to install the mini transformer, and the telephone one even less. As for the information connector, generally the connection does to itself by means of a cable to the second port series of the computer (COM2), which frequently is a wide connector of approximately 38 mm with 25 pines grouped in 2 tiers, a strait and with 9 pines like the first one (COM1), which is usually occupied by the mouse. Therefore, if the cable ends in a narrow connector and his port series is wide, he will need an adapter that usually costs less than 1.000 pts (approximately 500 if he looks a little). The most expensive modems usually bring it from series.
4. - As soon as the modem was connected, light the computer. Install the software that it avenges with the modem, especially the drivers to handle it. The process will be different according to his operating system; in Windows 95 it is possible that it is detected automatically and only ask us for the diskettes and/or the CD - ROM of the Windows 95, or to go to Add new hardware in the Control panel. In TWO and Windows 3.x probably beech to be appealed to some program specific fitter of the modem.
Many variants exist in the process, but almost always guy will be explained in the manual of the modem or in some file on the diskettes "README.TXT"; of course, perhaps come only in English, therefore it will agree that someone who knows this language helps him. Also it can be praised by a more expensive modem, which sometimes more finished manuals bring, in several languages.
5. - As soon as the software was installed, prove the modem with the given programs or with an Internet navigator, for example; he does not even need an Internet connection, if it hears it marking almost surely that it is well installed. If it works: CONGRATULATIONS!, it was lucky and everything was well; if not, it does not surprise me. Keep on reading next to resolve:
They are not usually serious, but neither they are small and sometimes it takes certain time to be right with the diagnosis to solve them. The most common are:
Or what is the same, that we have used an interruption IRQ for the modem that was already occupied by another device, or the same port COM for the modem and for the mouse, for example. In these cases the devices try to use simultaneously the above mentioned resources and the inevitable conflict arises.
With the arrival of the famous person Plug and Play (P&P, "to plug and to use") of Windows 95 one was supposed that this was going to end, but not P&P it works very well that we say, not even all the modems have this technology, especially if they are slightly ancient or cheap, the whole world nor has Windows 95 (although it seems incredible). What it does (or it should do) P&P is what we are going to have to do to hand: to assign the IRQ, ports COM, etc. to the devices so that conflicts do not exist.
First of all, verify that it is not using the same port COM for two devices. If the modem is external this is almost impossible, since it cannot use the same external connector for two devices simultaneously, but if it is internal it is more probable. To know it, in Windows 95 Manager of devices goes to the Control panel, icon System, eyelash, and look what ports use the mouse, the modem and the configuration of the proper ports COM. In TWO, it can use the utility MSD or load the controler of the mouse (MOUSE.COM or similar) and to read in what port it is installed (sometimes something is indicated also like "MouseType=Serial1" - in case of being COM1 - in the file MOUSE.INI). Eye, the positions COM1 and COM3 are usually equivalents or share the same IRQ, the same that COM2 and COM4.
Next verify if it uses the same IRQ for two devices. For it, it can go to the Manager of devices, pulsate on "PC" and then in Properties, or use the utility MSD for TWO (that also comes in the CD of Windows 95, but that does not settle for defect), or bend of Internet some of the hundreds of applications (generally shareware) that give us a list of the IRQ, like CheckIt, Agsi, PCConfig or Hardware Info. Try in the direction www.shareware.com to find them, or by means of Yahoo or other searchers. Look which the free IRQs is and which are occupied, and verify if they correspond to the one that you have selected in the modem.
Once we know what was the conflict (if it does not seem to be, read further down other possible causes of problems), take the manual of his modem and change the values to eliminate the problem, what will do good to itself by means of a program software, by means of the Manager of devices, or by means of a few jumpers in the modem (if it is internal), as one sees in the attached figure; remember that any modification hardware must be done by the completely subdued computer. Try again and it is possible that it has eliminated the problem; if not, it repeats the process with another values combination or begins thinking that the problem is different...
The computer does not ignite, whistles or is begun again only
If you do not light, check if everything connected it. In other cases: extinguish, rapidly! It is almost sure that this will happen to him only with an internal modem, since it usually implies that has introduced badly the card of the same one and there exists a false electrical contact, something very dangerously for the computer. Check if the card entered completely and if he did not get up on having assured it with the screw, or extract it and do it again.
If the topic recurs, it can be that the modem is damaged, that it has an incompatibility with the motherboard (something rare but not impossible) or that it has broken something on having introduced it; try if everything is fine without the modem, just in case. Also it can be a conflict of devices (IRQs and the others) that have taken it seriously than the normal thing; in such a case it can happen to him to external modems. Read the previous paragraph and act consequently.
The computer does not detect the modem
Has it tried to use the configuration software and it turns out that there does not seem to be answer on the part of the modem, or it does not mark or does Windows 95 say that it does not find it? Since almost sure that or it is not connected correctly (the card is "punctured" badly or the free cables) or has a conflict with other devices. Check the two previous paragraphs.
Certainly: did it connect the electricity of the modem (if it is external)? Will not it have a switch that has forgotten him to set in ON? And the cable of the phone? Will not he have exchanged the cables of the wall capture and of the device of external phone?
The modem does not mark
Perhaps do not be able to do it. Does it have line? Or what is the same: did it connect well the telephone cables? Did not he exchange them? If it has a device of external phone connected to the modem, removal and listen if it receives line when the modem is not using it. Check the configuration of the software and that of the hardware.
An importance point: his line: is it of pulses or of tones? The pulses lines are the classic analogical lines, those in which a ruidito hears for 1, two for 2...; that is to say, that 055 something like "ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta" sounds, "ta-ta..." 5 times, and then other 5. The tones lines are also analogical, but marked with every number it sounds equally, with a more "electronic" brief sound; 055 it would sound only "you - ti-ti" very rapid (it turns out to be slightly stupid of describing, but it is like that). Very well, the case is that in the configuration of pronounced it must have the correct type chosen for his line.
The yield is very low
Since who knows, there can be so many things... that the line is of low quality inclined to noises and interferences, that his Internet provider is bad or has some momentary problem, which the Infovía of Phone companhy has a bad day or is saturated (does it have any good day? When is not it saturated?)...
Anyway, if his modem is external and his computer is 486 or low, verify that the UART of his computer is 16550 ó Superior. If you it are, verify that the communication speed with the modem (the one that Windows 95 considers to be as "a maximum Speed") is the appropriate one (for example, for a modem 33.600 is usually 115.200, ó 57.600 if the computer and/or the UART are slow). For more on this concept go to the page: What is... a modem?
Eye, it is strange but I have understood that there exist internal modems that lack UART or that are not formed by defect, by what is as if it did not exist and try to use that of the computer, what apart from problems of conflict between devices can give problems of yield or of impossibility of configuration. Look if it is his case...